For all the people using a force-fit contract they found on the internet, a contract they put together themselves, or who are just not bothering with a contract, here’s 5 good reasons why you should use a PROPER contract.
A PROPER contract:
1/ …prompts you to consider the key things you need to take into account up front. If you’re inexperienced, you don’t know what you don’t know.
For instance, you might know that it’s important for the commissioner to sign off on casting. But maybe you've never even thought about casting.
2/…helps avoid unnecessary conflict down the line. It anticipates potential flare-ups and requires you to discuss and agree on matters that if ignored may be a cause of dispute later.
For instance, our contract requires both parties to discuss and agree look and feel of the video at the earliest opportunity - long before you hit the edit, when it’s often too late to right important wrongs.
3/ …makes the money conversations explicit.
For instance, how much money, if any, will the commissioner release to cashflow the production?
4/ …helps both parties deal with conflict. The contract has you specify what you’ll do in various scenarios, ahead of time.
For instance, if you/the commissioner aren't happy with the rough cut, how are you going to deal with it?
5/ …is efficient. It gets the key business conversations done up front and in one go, when both parties are in an optimum calm and polite headspace.
Radar has teamed up with leading London media lawyers, Wiggin, to create a unique video production contract for independent labels, managers, artists and music video directors. The contract is:
- suitable for commissioners or directors working in the UK and can be initiated by either party.
- equally fair to both parties - it’s even handed and gives protection to both parties.
- suitable for all kinds of video production, from tour visuals, to lyric videos and official music videos.
- available on Wiggin's unique online music contract tool: the Widget
- customisable by every client and downloadable when completed
- low cost - £35 (plus VAT) from the Wiggin website, alongside a suite of contracts similarly suitable for the independent music industry
- available at an even lower cost, at £25 (plus VAT) with Radar’s exclusive discount code.
Radar believes that the video contract on the Wiggin Widget is a great solution for labels, artists and video producers, but we are not liable to any user of the contract for any loss or damage you may suffer or incur as a result of use of the contract. The terms under which you use the contract are Wiggin's terms and conditions. Please read these terms and conditions carefully, in particular paragraphs 4 and 12, to make sure you understand the basis on which the video contract is made available for use by Wiggin.
Radar is not available to advise on any aspect of the video contract, nor to adjudicate in the event of disagreement.